Thursday, March 22, 2012

Glorify (Becky Booker)


Becky Booker and I go all the way back to like 1st or 2nd grade or something...it's crazy.
Keeping in touch with her I've noticed just how important following God's plan is to her...whether God sends her somewhere or not. Either way it's incredible and so inspiring to see her listen to God's plan above everything else. I hope you enjoy her post as much as I did!!!!!
__________________________________________________________


Ever had a door slam in your face? It’s not very pleasant: in fact it’s pretty startling, painful, and sometimes confusing. I recently had a door shut in my face… well, figuratively that is.

I was 5 days away from leaving on my 4.5 month missions trip to the West Bank. I had my stuff together, my books read, and my heart prepared. I was ready to go preach the Good News there! But God, as He so often does, had different plans. Long story short, I found out Sunday night that I wouldn’t be boarding my booked flight that coming Friday. The answer was no.

So the door was closed. But here’s the thing: I DID have a choice. I got to decide what my response was going to be. I could pout and curse God for ruining my plans, or “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, and in everything give thanks” (1 Thess. 5:16-18). Praise God for His grace. I was moved to my knees. To weeping and to prayer.

Scriptures like
Isaiah 55:8-9 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”

and

Jeremiah 29:11 (Jimmy’s favorite, I believe!) “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “ plans to prosper you and not to harm you; plans to give you a hope and a future.”
were a great comfort.

It kind of came down to one thing a friend told me. He said, “Becky, if you’re not glorifying God here, how do you expect to go halfway around the world and be a light for Christ??” That just made a lot of sense to me. Our purpose as humans is to glorify God. Period. The Bible says that we show our love for God by obeying Him. As Christians, our very definition is to be “Christ-like.”

Instead of throwing a fit, I threw a heartfelt prayer for God to be glorified, because that’s what matters. We are called to love, and to make disciples.


And here’s where my challenge comes in- for myself first.
Before I go halfway around the world, I need to check myself. I need to make sure I’m glorifying God HERE. Who am I intentionally sharing the Gospel with? How do I become the definition of a Christian?

So now your turn- step back. Take a look at your life. Is it glorifying to God? Or do you see a lot of complaining, gossiping, and just downright disobedience? Are you intentionally sharing the Gospel? Are you Living it?? Take tonight to get on your knees before God and tell Him how awesome He is and how much you love Him. Thank Him. Ask Him to be glorified in and through you. And the next time a door gets slammed in your face, take it from me- the best place to go is to your knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment