Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Grocery Shopping

Week 1: 
    I was walking down (or up, for some of the crazy people that the difference between down and up matters...They're both there pick one.)...
    I was walking down the bread isle in the local Harris Teeter, looking for some of Nature's Own: Honey Wheat bread.  When I realized I had one more aisle to go,  I shot off a quick peace to God knowing that my quest was almost over because I can't stand grocery shopping. Finally I made my way to the cash register, packed my car and went home thinking the worst was over with. I charged $xxx.xx for my groceries. I then had to carry the groceries up to the fourth floor!!! I know what you're thinking... poor guy. Thanks guys I appreciate it because it stunk! 

Week2:
    I really only got around to using about 70% of the food I bought. About 30% of it I either didn't use or it went bad. So I had to figure out what I didn't need so I could not spend so much. Grocery Shopping week 2 sucked just as bad, but I managed to shave off about $50 dollars from the last week. So I'm pretty pumped, feeling good about that extra cash...trying to figure out what I want to do with it. When it hit me that what I just experienced was something that all christians struggle with. Buying unnecessary things.

John 4:34
    "'My food', said Jesus, 'is to do the will of Him who sent me and to finish His work.'"

I dug a little bit deeper. I'll leave the task to you to do a bible study of your own. I found a lot of associated words that led me to many verses regarding this topic. For example, "nourishment", "rich fulfillment", "our daily bread"... the list goes on. I encourage you to take a look.

Anyways, my point is that the transition from grocery shopping from week 1 to week 2; something changed. I realized there were things I didn't need to buy so I was able to get rid of them.

We are called to be 110% devoted to God. Something I think I can speak for everyone on is that we all have things in our lives that do not please God. So next week what can you start to shave out of your life.

My challenge to you is this:

What food are you buying that will go bad?
...
Get rid of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment